Over the past year an amazing amount of talented female musicians have worked their way through the massive amount of new artists and into my headphones. Among all the top lists of 2011 this one was the most fun to work on. Scrolling through my music library earlier in the year I found that I barely had any new indie female artists which prompted me to start the Indie Female Vocalists series which has gotten great feedback. I believe we need to promote not only positive and beautiful music but also included in that we need to show love to those female musicians who are finding it harder to break into a scene dominated by men. I look forward to hearing more from these women and can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2012.
It would be impossible for me to list all the female artists that i’ve enjoyed over the past year so i’ve narrowed it down to around 30 in no particular order. Feel free to mention what your thoughts are or any recommendations in the comments.
1.Emmy The Great – Paper Forest (In The Afterglow of Rapture)
2.Laura Stevenson and The Cans – The Healthy One
3.Sidney York – Dick & Jane
4. Lex Land – Oh My!
5. Caroline Smith and The Good Nights – Strong Shoulders
6. Maia Hirasawa – Long Ago
7. Monarchs – Business Casual
8. An Horse – Airport Death
9. Zoey Van Goey – Another Day, Another Disaster
10. Sakert! – Dancing, Though
11. Limbotheque – Whiskey is My Drink
12. Elizaveta – Dreamer
13. Beth Ditto – I Wrote The Book
14. Rachael Yamagata – Starlight
15. Feist – How Come You Never Go There
16. Dillon – Tip Tapping
17. Donora – The Story
18. Thao & Mirah – Little Cup
19. Ivy – Fascinated
20. Kathryn Calder – Who Are You?
21. Charlotte Sometimes – Headaches
22. Rebekah Higgs – Gosh, Darn, Damn
23. Julia Stone – Catastrophe!
24. Eliza Newman – Ukulele Song For You
25. Beth Jeans Houghton – Dodecahedron
26. Slow Club – Beginners
27. Russian Red – I Hate You But I Love You